Saturday, September 28, 2013

My Bane and Gregor Mendel's Life's Work

One day, when I was about five years old, my mom counted out fifteen peas for my dinner. This was the minimum intake if any of the children at the McGlinchey table wanted dessert. My little brothers got more because they loved those disgusting, roly-poly green balls, but I made it up by eating more than my fair share of spinach. After finishing my pork chops and apple sauce, as well as my mashed potatoes, I would push five of the alien-puke-colored orbs on to my spoon, using my fork because I didn’t even want to touch those vile critters. With my left hand on my glass of milk and my right hand holding the spoon unsteadily, I would, in quick succession, toss those putrid pellets to the back of my throat and then force them down my gullet with a cleansing mouthful of milk. The process would be repeated two more times, at least once a week, for the next thirteen years.
Once I moved out of home, one of the most liberating feelings for me was to be able to leave the peas on the plate. Not that I ordered them, but they would occasionally show up as the veggie side dish that came with the order. Or I would segregate them from the rest of a beef stew, leaving a dozen of them crowded into a corner of the plate. If anyone asked, I was man enough to admit my aversion to the emerald globules and confident that if that if any derision followed, I could probably name off half a dozen vegetables, from asparagus to zucchini, that the insulting party despised.
Seven months in Wales gave a whole new dimension to my disgust for peas. Every Wednesday, lunch was mutton with mint sauce (a vile dish in and of itself) and mushy peas served with an ice cream scooper. It was explained to me how the proper consistency was reached by one of the cooks, but since I was trying to suppress the gag reflex the whole time, I didn’t remember what was said afterwards.
Arriving on Taiwan, I was introduce to more varieties of vegetables, legumes, fungi and lichen with only bitter melon entering that “No-entry” group. Thanks to the freshness of the veggies, I have grown to like previous foods that were on my “Don’t Eat!” list, like broccoli, string beans and eggplant. In fact, the only food from childhood that remains verboten are peas.
Enter the concept of presentation. When I was young, a slab of meat to the right, some greens to the left and some form of potato at the top of the plate was Mom’s idea of presentation. If you didn’t like the veggies and/or their juices skirting along the edges of the scalloped taters, well, then eat faster. Nowadays, the words “wonderful presentation” is like a name brand sticker on a pair of jeans or a T-shirt. You could probably get the same dish for a quarter of the price at a New Jersey diner. And with the savings, you could leave nice tip without getting a service charge.
Chinese cooking has always made presentation a cornerstone of its cuisine, especially with the use of colors. A gray-skinned fish, complete with the head and tail, is covered in orange-tinted sweet-and-sour sauce with green shredded scallions thrown on top. Chicken soup, complete with the head and claws floating inside, is served in a colorful ceramic pot. White lobster meat is laid out on a bed of lettuce on one side of a long serving dish next to the head, antennae and tail of the boiled crimson crustacean.
Peas, due to their beryl color, are often used to add colorful contrasts to a dish. They are sometimes thrown into fried rice, along with corn and chopped-up slices of ham. Sweet and sour or spicy sauce is occasionally laced with peas. I have seen the meat fillings of steamed dumplings containing peas.

So, it just seems natural for Costco, in order to cater to the Taiwanese palate and sense of presentation, to serve a combo pizza with not only peas and corn, but also pieces of carrot. Whatever happened to onions, mushrooms and green peppers? 

No comments:

Post a Comment